Monday, June 24, 2013

Bora Bora, Water Field Road, Bandra (W)

Chinese, Indian, Lebanese, Malaysian and Continental - 5 cuisines under one roof! How could one resist dining at such a place? And so I landed there for lunch one aftrenoon when the sun was shining brightly outside - a rare sight in this rain-soaked month of June in Mumbai.

As we were seated, the first thing that I noticed was that the decor had a cozy feel to it - with the low ceiling and walls that looked as if they were carved out of stone. The lighting, however, for some unfathomable reason, was just bright enough to enable one to see what is served. And the music blaring from the TV sets on the walls made it well nigh impossible to carry out any conversation unless one resorted to shouting at the top of one's lungs.

 

I opened the menu with great expectations, ignored the Indian section on purpose and stole only a cursory glance through the Continental and Chinese menu.The Lebanese offering had the usual suspects - Hummus, Pita bread and Shawarma. So I turned my attention to the Malaysian cuisine. Trawling through the menu, my eyes settled on Nasi Lemak - it was described as rice flavored with coconut milk, served with chicken gravy and fried peanuts. Interesting! I wanted to go back to the Lebanese menu to choose something not sampled before but once again I was vetoed down by the rest of the family. I was allowed to experiment, but within the safe confines of Chinese cuisine. I would have loved to go for Honey Chicken but settled instead for Crispy Thread Chicken.

The Crispy Thread Chicken was served first. At first glance, it looked as if the chicken pieces are wrapped in fluffy cotton candy. A bite, however, revealed that they were rice noodles, fried crispy to perfection. The meat was tender and well seasoned. The dish was served with a sweet tangy sauce - a perfect accompaniment! I once again wondered, albeit uselessly, if it would be possible to cook such a dish at home.


The Nasi Lemak was served next. I prefer my chicken to be boneless - though I am told that chicken with bones has a taste of its own. So I stuck to the gravy. We weren't sure about the exact method of eating this dish so we went the Khao Soi way - some rice on the plate, gravy poured on top along with a bit of sauce that came in a small bowl, a smattering of the fried peanuts and fried onions to top it all. Wait a minute! What's that fishy smell? Oh, what I had taken to be fried onion was in reality fried dried prawns. :-( This was the only sour point, at least for me, in an otherwise really delicious dish.


So, in short, Bora Bora is definitely a good place to go to if you are sick of looking at the same menus and want to try something different. I hope you are a bit more adventurous than I was. :-)

No comments: