Sunday, February 3, 2013

China Gate, Atria Mall, Worli

Lately, there has been no reason whatsoever to visit the Atria mall in Worli. From what I heard the mall has worn a desolate look since many of the shops have downed their shutters. Same goes for the food court. So I was surprised when I saw the 'Now Open' sign from Barbeque Nation there and decided to pay a visit. Alas, they seem to have only Buffet option. Since long, I have decided to stay away from buffets. I am not one of those who eat heartily so the exorbitant prices of these buffets make me feel that I am not eating all that I am paying for.

The only other option in the mall seemed to be China Gate (I am not a big fan of Only Parathas after my dismal lunch experience a few days back and I was in no food for pizza!). I have eaten before at China Gate and had enjoyed it.

It's been years since I have started my meal at any Chinese restaurant with a soup because I am not a Soup person. But I couldn't resist the temptation to try out 'Spicy Crab Soup' on the menu, albeit with some trepidation. The soup, however, didn't disappoint me when it arrived. Steaming, thick and wholesome - without even a hint of a fishy smell that sometimes accompanies seafood - it tasted delicious. I could have done without the coriander sprigs in it though. I would have happily consumed another bowlful if I were a big eater.But I wanted to see what was on the Main menu.

Many dishes looked interesting but I went for Honey Chicken and Burnt Garlic Chicken Fried Rice. The Honey Chicken was superbly cooked with a perfect balance of crispiness and chewiness. The honey, however, was more generously heaped on it than was needed. A bit more spice in the form of dried red chillies would have been better.

The pot rice, when served, made me rather alarmed with its dash of green color on the chicken pieces. I hate chicken in green masala. And there was nothing on the menu to suggest that the dish would make use of it. Apart from a few deep fried garlic cloves that did justice to the dish's name, the rest of the dish was pretty bland. I should have stuck to plain Chicken Pot Rice or good old Chicken Fried Rice.

Needless to say, the ambience was good and the staff courteous. All in all, I would still go back so I can try more dishes from the menu.

Oh, and a medium scoop of Gelato's Royal Kulfi to top off this meal means a Sunday afternoon well spent, won't you say? :-)


No comments: