Saturday, December 22, 2012

Only Parathas

Parathas are not on my list of favorite food items. But then I was tired of the same old South Indian and Chinese fare dished out here, there and everywhere. So I decided to try out "Only Parathas". The Chaat section on the menu had all the usual suspects so I chose Papadi Chaat. The Paratha section was, predictably, long enough to cover distance between Mumbai and Kashmir twice over. It started with simple parathas and went on to more complex stuffed ones. Since I didn't know what the difference between 'single-layered' and 'double-layered' parathas was - though I could guess it - I ordered single-layered aaloo parathas.

The order was served quickly enough. Papadi Chaat was everything a Chaat should be - light, refreshing and perfectly seasoned. The paratha, however, was a huge disappointment. The crispy covering was so thick that I could hardly taste any potato filling inside. It was accompanied with Black Daal which I have never been able to develop a taste for and the chhole were utterly tasteless.

I stepped out wishing that I had ordered more Chaat instead.

No comments: