Wednesday, December 19, 2012

I have always wondered at the human mind's ability to fish out memories that you didn't even know you had. It happened again with me today morning. I got into a bus and the conductor gave me ticket. As usual, I kept it in the front pocket of my backpack. Sometime later, I opened the pocket again to take out my mobile. The ticket almost fell out.

And that, somehow, triggered a memory from my school days. A friend and I had boarded a bus and got tickets. We were so busy chatting that she absent-mindedly chucked the ticket out the window (I used to be less bothered about civic sense back then!). Then she realized what she had done and was horrified at the thought of the Ticket Collector catching her without ticket. In fact, she had been so rattled that she had promptly got another ticket.

I smiled as I thought back on it and pushed the ticket back inside. I don't know where that friend is now. I know that in this age of Facebook and LinkedIn, I can track her down if I make some effort. But then, I guess some friendships do have an expiry date. When you haven't seen each other for years, there is simply so much to catch up on that it's probably best not to.

I wonder though, if my friend remembers that incident anymore.

No comments: