Thursday, September 13, 2012

‘IAF Pilot refuses to fly Rahul Gandhi’ screamed the headlines. When I came across them I was reminded of something that I had witnessed the evening before as I had stood waiting for the AC bus.

In the midst of the peak hour traffic, a police vehicle came into sight – its red light flashing incessantly. There were 3 cars closely following it. One of them had the tricolor on its bonnet. Another police van brought up the rear. The setting sun and tinted windows made it difficult to see who the occupants were. In any case, they zoomed along at a fast pace and were gone in seconds.

Just then a non-AC bus stopped at the nearby bus stop. It discharged a few passengers but not many boarded it. When it started pulling away, it was more than half empty. A guy carrying a heavy office bag came rushing along. He waved both his hands to stop the bus. I am sure the driver saw him but didn’t bother to stop. The guy ended up waiting at the bus stop for the next bus.

When I got into the bus, R.K. Laxman’s celebrated Common Man kept popping into my mind. I guess in India, the Common Man is becoming more Common day by day.

P.S. Why was Rahul Gandhi being flown by an IAF pilot? I thought IAF was responsible for country’s defense. But then I could be wrong because in this country only politicians are allowed to be right. Hats off to the IAF pilot for “standing his ground”!

No comments: