Wednesday, August 29, 2012

The Making of Khao Soi

It had been days since I had bought Thai Red Curry Paste from Godrej's Nature Basket. Every time I opened the fridge, the packet would remind me that I am yet to try my hand at making Khao Soi. Last Saturday night, I had made up my mind that it is either going to be tomorrow or never.

A search on the net brought up 3-4 recipes. I selected the one that had maximum match between the listed ingredients and the contents of my fridge – http://www.food.com/recipe/chiang-mai-curry-noodles-kao-soi-192829. I simply didn't have the time or the patience needed to buy anything extra.

So on the D-day morning, I faithfully followed the recipe to make the curry. But when it came to serving the dish, I added a few boiled noodles at the bottom of the bowl. Then ladled spoonfuls of the gravy onto it. To that I added chopped coriander, chopped mint leaves, fine powder of peanuts, thin slices of deep fried onions, finely chopped spring onions (green part), a sprinkling of red chilli flakes and finally fried noodles. And topped it off with few drops of lemon juice.

I am happy to say that the end result turned out to be surprisingly delicious. Maybe it was the beginner's luck! I will know for sure when I make it again - and again and again :-)

No comments: