Thursday, August 30, 2012

It was the last signal before the office. I had almost finished reading the newspaper. That's why I was looking out of the window. A PUC van was parked at the curb and its door was ajar. The lone attendance inside was feeding a street dog some biscuits. I remembered my brother telling me that the digestive system of the animals gets disturbed if they are fed the biscuits that are meant for human consumption. But looking at the skinny dog, I rather doubted that he was getting much to eat otherwise. As I looked at him, an article from yesterday's newspaper came to mind. It was about the perennial issue of what to do with the stray dogs. When I read how a small child on his way to school was attacked by 3 stray dogs, I could think of no other solution other than putting down the dogs. But the dog near that PUC van looked very tame and harmless, rather forlorn. It would be cruel to put him to death. But then who knows? He might turn vicious and attack someone some day. It's a difficult choice like in many of the problems that continue to plague our nation :-(

A guy driving a scooter stopped near the PUC van – most probably to ask for directions, I thought. But as I kept watching, the PUC guy got down from his vehicle, went to the back and got a thin pipe out. Just then the signal changed to green and my cab pulled away so I could not see the rest of the process.

Must say that this is the very first time I have seen anyone use the service of the PUC van.

No comments: