Sunday, June 3, 2012

Aqua 2012

'Is this queue for Aqua 2012' I asked a lady waiting patiently and she nodded. I couldn't believe my eyes. It was after noon on a Saturday morning. I was at Matunga's Ruia college to check out the exhibition of rare fish. But when I reached there it was so crowded that the organizers had to close down the main doors of the college to keep the people out for some time. I turned back in disappointment.

Despite it being a Sunday, we reached the venue by 10am the next day. My calculation was spot on. There were hardly 4-5 early risers so the place looked practically deserted. The newspaper ad had said that on entry every visitor will be given a booklet containing information of exotic fish (entry fee was Rs 40 per person). But when I inquired about the same, the person at the booth handed over a 2 page pamphlet. I was certain I had seen some of yesterday's crowd carrying away a much bigger booklet. Maybe the organizers hadn't anticipated so many visitors and had run through their quota in the initial days.

The exhibition itself was well worth the 2 trips. Colors on some of the fish were so amazing that you couldn't help wonder who must have thought of them. The tanks looked clean and there was no 'fishy' smell that you usually come to associate with a fish enclosure. While we were there, a man came to feed the fish and it was delighting to see the tiny things gobble up food.

It was also heartening to see so many parents with kids in tow who waited patiently on both days to have a glimpse of the marine life. I just wish the organizers had done a much better job of crowd management. Hope to see many such exhibitions in the city in future.

No comments: