Monday, April 23, 2012

A lot of days and many interruptions later I finally managed to finish reading the 8th chapter of 'Bhagwad Geeta - As It Is'. When I reflect back on what I read I find it a bit difficult to stomach the teaching that if you are Krishna Conscious throughout your life and have His name on your lips as you depart from this world, you are free from the cycle of life and death. That could be because of the fact that despite going through 8 chapters (almost half of the holy book!) I am still unsure of what exactly is 'Krishna Consciousness'. I am sure though that it doesn't mean shying away from your worldly duties to become a monk. It could mean participating in Satsangs, doing Puja or reading holy scriptures. Yet, who can guarantee that the people who engage in some or all of these activities become, at the core, good human beings? No one. A lady who doesn't miss out on even one Satsang might misbehave with her daughter-in-law at home. A person who never sleeps without reading a chapter from some holy book might be cheating or doing illegal things in his professional life. Will uttering 'Hare Krishna, Hare Rama' absolve them of all their sins, even if they continue to perpetrate them day in, day out - without even once realizing that they need to mend their ways? Highly unlikely.

At one place, Geeta says that being Krishna Conscious means knowing that whatever you are doing, you are doing to please Him. You shouldn't do anything to achieve something for yourself - rather you should do it because you know that He enjoys all fruits of all labors. Yet, there are no instructions on how this can be done in practical life. e.g. I work because I like to be financially independent and have a secure future. I am not sure exactly how Krishna fits into this whole totally materialistic picture. I am not making fun of the Geeta here. I genuinely want to understand so I can put myself on the right path.

Maybe what they say about learning Geeta from some authority on the holy book is true. But searching for such a person is going to be more difficult than searching for the proverbial needle in the haystack. Think 'Herculean'!

I have also heard it said that when the student is ready the teacher appears. Maybe I am not ready yet........

No comments: