Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Recipes For Disaster

When I watched 'Turban Tadka' (Food Food Channel) for the first time, I wasn't too impressed. In fact, I had got irritated by the number of times Chef Harpal Sokhi kept saying 'Oye'. But over the past few months I have watched quite a few episodes of the program and so have become sort of used to it as well as his frequent 'ohoho, kya baat hai ji'. He gives recipes that can be tried out for daily lunch or dinner with ingredients that can be easily found in household kitchens. I had tried making 'Gobhi Takatak' and 'Aaloo ki Launji' and both had turned out to be tasty. Encouraged, I tried his recipes for 'Amritsari Dum Aaloo' and 'Aaloo Tamatar Rassewale' - both of which failed spectacularly. :-)

Now, when it comes to 'Firangi Tadka', I watch its episodes with interest but rarely try any dish because more often than not, owing to its international cuisine, some of the ingredients are not part of the typical Indian kitchen. You can use soya or chilli sauce often but a bottle of oyster or fish sauce can remain unused in the fridge for months. Flipping through the notebook in which I jot down the recipes, I came across 'Mirchiwale Paneer' one day. Tried it and lived to regret it.

Guess I have a long road to travel when it comes to being an expert cook :-)

No comments: