Monday, October 3, 2011

I thought of a Mumbai cabbie on two occasions this month - once, when a Saudi woman was sentenced with 10 lashes for driving despite a ban and again when the King overturned that sentence. I don't remember the face of that cabbie because it has been a few years since the incident.

I was going home from office and the traffic, as usual, was pretty heavy. At some point, one of the cars nearby swerved dangerously close. The cabbie swore under his breath and looking at the woman driver inside said aloud 'Why do ladies have to drive?'. Had he looked at me in the rear-view mirror he would have caught my expressions - angry at first, and then distinctly amused. I must agree that the woman driver made me question the sanity of the RTO officer who gave her license. But I didn't think that she represented the attitude and skills of the driving women population of the country in any way.

Of course, the males in this country are prone to generalizing a lot when it comes to us womenfolk. And we, on our part, ignore their viewpoints on this matter, as on most others :-)

No comments: