Tuesday, October 4, 2011

I had recovered from the episode of the malfunctioning ATM to the extent of venturing to go to another location to get some cash this weekend. A lady was already using the machine and there was a gentleman standing outside the door. I joined the queue.

Five minutes passed, then ten but the lady was showing no signs of concluding her transactions. From where I was standing, I could see her inserting the card multiple times and then fumbling in her purse. Just what in the name of God is going on? Is she withdrawing money for all her friends and neighbors?

Just when I was wondering why the attendant at the ATM in question (who was waiting inside against all rules) wasn't telling her to get a move on, he said something to her. The lady stole a glance outside and smiled sheepishly.

Still, it was another 5 minutes before she came out. Now it was the turn of the gentleman who was standing ahead of me. I prayed that he would be quick. No such luck, however! He seemed equally determined to take his own sweet time. Don't these people have anything else to do? What exactly do they do for so long at the ATM? If you have to withdraw cash and remember your pin, it happens almost in a jiffy, isn't it?

I was so mad I was having thoughts of breaking the door open the way it is done in Hindi movies. I was trying very hard to glare at the attendant - almost willing him to ask the gentleman to be quick. He eventually did just that. But to my dismay, the gentleman remained inside the room which was against the rules as well.

I so wanted to give him the piece of my mind. But fortunately for him, I was late for an appointment. So I gave him a sinister look, got my money and stormed out.

I seriously feel that the banks should think about having separate ATMs for 2 sets of users - the way the supermarkets have express lanes for 10 items or less. One, for those who want to only withdraw cash and/or print statements. And two, for those who want to use the ATM to apply for an FD, pay utility or credit card bills, feed their dog, divorce their spouse or save the world!

As for me, I have decided to go visit the brick-and-mortar structure for withdrawing my hard-earned money henceforth. If it 's not cost-efficient for the bank, to hell with it!

No comments: