Friday, November 12, 2010

I am not much of an emotional person nor am I overly religious. But 3 episodes of the Ramayana (Telecast daily on FM 104.0, Mon-Fri, Daily 7am, 1pm, 9pm) brought tears to my eyes. One was, of course, where King Janak of Mithila finds Sita while tilling the soil. The second episode was where Prince Rama brings Devi Ahilya back to life and the last one was that of Sita Swayamwara.

I can understand my reaction to the first and third episodes. But I am surprised at myself for being emotional about the second one. I have always thought that it was mighty unjust of Ahilya's husband, Sage Gautama, to curse her for no fault of hers. And I strongly smell 'male chauvinism' in the whole idea of a male bringing a lady out of her misery. Yet, there I was, with tears in my eyes and without any explanation for them.

Perhaps each of us is made of centuries of beliefs and thoughts that we are ourselves unaware of. :-(

No comments: