Friday, January 8, 2010

I am so glad the new season for "Boston Legal" has started. (Star World, Mon-Thurs, 10pm). If you can tolerate some of the bizarre characters and weird cases, the episodes are pure fun to watch. What sets them apart is that they also give you food for thought.

Take for example yesterday's case of a teenager's right to terminate an unwanted pregnancy. And the question it left me with: am I pro-life or not? I have written about this in the past. I am not pro-life when it comes to terminating pregnancies that arise out of rape, when the life of a mother is in jeopardy or when the unborn child is diagnosed with physical and/or mental problems. Better to kill the child in the womb than leave him/her in an orphanage or on a garbage dump. In a country like India, I don't know which is worse. :-(

Of course, preference for a male child seems to be a national obsession in India. And that gives a sinister angle to the whole issue of termination of unwanted pregnancies.

It was just last week that I was out for my evening walk and saw a family of 6 - parents with 4 daughters in tow. Needless to say, the mother was carrying their 5th child in her arms. For her sake, I hoped it was a boy :-(

No comments: