Thursday, January 21, 2010

I am glad to see that better sense has prevailed and the Maharashtra CM has backtracked his earlier decision of allowing only those cabbies who speak Marathi to operate in Mumbai. I am a Maharshtrian and proud of my culture as well as language. But I will always condemn any move which would effectively create a barrier between me and my fellow Indians.

When I saw the news about his earlier decision yesterday, I wondered what would happen if the Southern states decide to only allow cabbies who knew only their local language to operate in their states? It will be a nightmare for someone like me who cannot even figure out what south Indian language someone is speaking. It is okay for the ministers to issue such decisions from their Ivory Towers. After all, their red-light flashing cars can halt traffic anytime to zoom away to their destinations. Life will be miserable for us mere mortals called the "Common Man" who have to take public transport.

I think the cabbies across India should know Hindi - leave aside the dispute on whether it's the national language or not. But it will be tough imposing that in the Southern States. :-(

No comments: