Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The Narrows - by Michael Connelly

It’s not a book I would have picked up – not this month at least. And that’s because I have had enough of reading about psycho killers. But as I stepped into the library I got 2 consecutive calls from colleagues so I was distracted as I hunted for the book. I took a cursory glance at the back page summary storyline and got it issued - the book name, “The Narrows” – and the author, Michael Connelly.

When I turned to the book at night, I thought the characters of detective Bosch and Terry McCaleb sounded familiar. Then I remembered that I have read Connelly before.

The storyline is a bit creepy on this one, what with FBI”s worst nightmare, the killer called “The Poet” – named so for the lines of Edgar Allen Poe’s poetry that he leaves next to the bodies of his victims – resurfacing after a gap of a few years. This time he strikes in the Sin City, Las Vegas, where the disappearance of 6 men sets the wheels of investigation turning, finally. What is surprising is that this time The Poet has sent his calling card to his two protégés – Terry and Rachel. Will this spell the doom for Robert Backus – the erstwhile head of FBI’s famed Behavioral Sciences Unit? Will Bosch be able to help the widow of his friend?

If you don’t mind half a dozen or so rotting bodies in the Nevada desert and a few peeks into the deranged mind of a killer, this book is an excellent crime mystery for your night stand. Me? I could have done without it for another month at least :-(

No comments: