Tuesday, October 13, 2009

I was a little taken aback when I recently read on one of the internet sites that our very old Doordarshan has completed 50 years of its existence last month. No fanfare, no full page ads in newspapers, no nothing! Of course, I must admit that I rarely tune in to the channel so any mention of this milestone on it would have been missed by me.

I sat back and thought about the serials of my childhood. Strangely enough, the quality was better by leaps and bounds on this single channel than the daily soaps that are dished out on the multitude of channels that have mushroomed up these days. And I can say that without looking back at that era through the rose-tinted glasses of nostalgia.

Of course I couldn’t help but trawl the net looking for any videos or title songs of the DD serials from the 80s. And here are 2 of them that I found:

To listen to title songs of serials like Ajnabee, Subah, Yeh Jo Hai Jindagi and Chunauti, check http://www.getalyric.com/index.php?search=title+song+of+doordarshan+serials&criteria=listen

Visit
http://passionforcinema.com/doordarshan-down-memory-lane/

and read about the serials that were integral part of childhood of many like me. I felt as if I was meeting long lost friends of mine when I saw the serials like Stone Boy, TenaliRama and Mungerilal ke Hasin Sapne mentioned.

Can the powers-that-be arrange for these serials to be telecast on DD again on the occasion of its 50 years’ of service? I would love to step back into my childhood days. :-)

No comments: