Friday, August 21, 2009

It was not the first time that I was reading anything about the Nazis in general and about Auschwitz in particular. But every time I read about both, I am shaken to the core. This time it was an excerpt from a Marathi book that mentioned the concentration camp. The writer talked about how he saw rooms full of discarded baggage from the Jews - with their names marked out in chalk. There was another room which contained empty tins of the deadly poison that was used to snuff life out of the unfortunate ones. And then the place where gold was yanked out of the teeth of the corpses.

And then there is a room that is filled upto the ceiling with toys that the children must have carried with them to Auschwitz - it's just that their owners are no longer around to play with them.

It took me a while to push past this all and read on the rest of the excerpt. :-(

I have often wondered in the past as to how the world could turn a blind eye as millions were slaughtered for no fault of theirs. And then I realized that the world was busy with its "life" - just as I am "busy" with my job, my family and my petty complaints while there are many who need help right here in my country :-(

No comments: