Sunday, July 19, 2009

Chakh Le India - NDTV Good Times

As I was writing this, I managed to watch one episode of “Chakh Le India”. The footage of the Golden Temple made me realize once again that I need to go there to have the once-in-a-lifetime experience of eating at a Langar. The host Aditya Bal followed this up with cooking his version of Butter Chicken.

Now, this dish has been criticized enough for its generous (and unhealthy!) use of butter and cream but nevertheless is one of my few favorite items from the North Indian cuisine. So I watched with interest. The marinate mixture had the “usual suspects” like ginger garlic paste, curd, cumin powder, coriander powder and red chili powder but the surprise ingredients were lemon juice, vinegar and finely chopped onion. The gravy base was of course tomato puree but I was a bit surprised when he added finely chopped green chilies to it.

I have tried many different recipes of this dish at home but never managed to get the same taste as the one served up in the restaurants. I guess I will not follow Aditya Bal’s recipe for the gravy but I will add these new ingredients next time I marinate the chicken breast pieces for Butter Chicken :-)

No comments: