Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Auschwitz - Factories of Death

It was past midnight and as is my habit, I was making a last sweep of news channels. That done, I turned to NatGeo and Discovery. History channel was the last one I visited when I saw the words "Auschwitz - Factories of Death". It was a one-hour documentary about the Nazi camp and I think it was the first part.

It would be understatement of the year to say that it was horrifying. If the photos of the small children who were separated from their children weren't heartbreaking enough, the inhumane treatment meted out to the old was simply sickening. I watched with horror as one infirm old woman was humiliatingly prodded again and again in the face by one of the soldiers. After watching so many documentaries on that period, I still find it hard to accept that the world did nothing when Hitler and his men went on a bloody rampage. :-(

I believe in rebirth and so I wonder if it will be any use praying for the souls of those who went through hell such a long time ago - because according to my belief, they must have been reborn. But I hope and pray that none of us has to go through such a holocaust once again.

No comments: