Thursday, January 15, 2009

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Spoiler)

After I wrote the word “Spoiler” I wondered if the warning was unnecessary. I am pretty sure I must be the last Potter fan on earth to read the 6th book for the first time.

Anyways, I finished reading it yesterday night. If I was angry with Rowling for killing Sirius Black in “The Order of Phoenix” I was mad when she struck Dumbledore dead in this one. Agreed, you have to show some casualties on the good side too because that’s what happens in the real life. But why Dumbledore? Then it struck me that she had to show Harry on his own at least in the last book and with Dumbledore his last protector is now gone. It’s truly between him and Voldemort now.

But I am sad that Hogwarts will be closed. I had come to love the school of magic as if I had myself learnt spellwork within its stone walls, tried to brew potions within its dungeons, sat at the lake looking at the giant squid, watched a plume of smoke rising out of Hagrid’s cabin, said a password to the Fat Lady to climb through the portrait hole and dined in its enchanted dining room. Oh yes, I am sad that the great oaken doors will be closed. :-(

Oddly though, I can’t believe that Snape hoodwinked Dumbledore – because that would mean that Dumbledore made an error in judging him. I can’t believe that. Well, the last book will tell me soon enough.

Ah yes, this one is going to be the last one in the series. :-( Though I wonder how destruction of 4 Horcruxes is crammed in it along with Voldemort’s death, I am eager to start on it as soon as I can. :-)

No comments: