Friday, November 14, 2008

I don’t understand what this whole brouhaha about Dr. Manmohan Singh not getting a call from Obama soon enough was. And then there was considerable heartburn over Janab Zardari having already enjoyed a tete-a-tete with the new President-elect. What’s new about it, I say. No matter who the occupant is in the White House, the US was, is and always will be one of the ‘Friends of Pakistan’. And I thought everyone knew about this!

I didn’t lose much sleep over Obama’s not calling our PM. I found Obama’s comment on successful launching of our Chandrayaan highly entertaining and disturbing at the same time. And this despite India being some years away from launching a manned spacecraft while Armstrong took ‘a small step for a man’ years ago. Clearly, the POTUS is going to have to reach out to grab his bottle of antacids every time India achives a milestone.

I also suffered some anxious moments when he uttered the “K” word though. No, no, I am not talking about “Kremlin” here. It’s about the paradise on earth and the “United States of Obama” wanting to use its influence in reaching a solution. I won’t go to the extreme and predict that the trigger-happy nation will march out there as it did in Afghanistan and Iraq but who said they can create only a military mess? I won’t make the mistake of underestimating them when it comes to making a diplomatic mess! In a nutshell, with their clear bias towards our neighbors - who are looking for a bowl to go to IMF to beg with – they are the last nation on God’s earth that should get involved with the issue of Kashmir – even if they believe, as Sarah Palin does, that God has chosen them for such missions.

As I write this, Dr. Singh did finally get a call and I vaguely remember there being some news about the possible visit of the soon-to-be Mr. President to India. So guys, paste on the best diplomatic smiles you got and keep them in place till Air Force One takes off. But please keep your eyes and ears open – because it’s an Olympian leap of faith to think that such a strong “Friend of Pakistan” can be our best buddy.

No comments: