Thursday, November 13, 2008

The Hairy Biker’s Cookbook

A weird name for a culinary program, don’t you think? I was pretty sure it’s about bikes when I first noticed it in the schedule of programs on the Discovery Travel and Living Channel. But one day I chanced upon this program accidentally and did a double take when I saw two huge biker types pottering about with pots and pans and actually cooking something edible.

But their appearance was deceptive as I found out when I watched another episode of this program recently. It was shot in Romania – that’s right, the land of the Prince of Darkness. Don’t ask me to name the dishes that they cooked because the names were absolute tongue-twisters and I had never seen some of the ingredients that went in the preparation either. One of the guys cooked a pancake filled with a savory mixture and the other one filled another pancake with a dripping-with-calories chocolate filling. So a word of caution – if watching cheese, chocolate, whipped cream and butter makes you feel as if you have piled on tons, don’t watch this program. :-) It’s not meant for those with an anemic metabolic rate!

After the pancakes, they prepared the national dish of Romania – with cooked cabbage, layers of wafer-thin beef and some stew. It took a long time - hats off to them for their perseverance! All in all, a pleasant enjoyable program - except that in this episode they cooked against the backdrop of an ancient fortress and I half expected the Count come gliding in to take a bite out of the neck of the nearest Hairy Biker :-)

No comments: