Saturday, November 1, 2008

Shaken - not stirred

It’s time to get shaken - not stirred. Nope, I am not referring to the after-effects of the financial tsunami that is rocking the world presently. I am referring to “Quantum of Solace”. If you just said “huh?” you have either been hiding in a cave or belong to that club where people don’t give a damn about the latest shenanigans of Her Majesty’s agent 007. I am a member of that club too :-)

I have watched earlier James Bond flicks starring Sean Connery and Roger Moore. So I am somewhat familiar with the general caste of characters like Q (loved his gadget-laden cars as much as 007 did), M (I rejoiced when this 007 boss turned feminine with Dame Judy Dench playing the role), his friend Felix and poor miss Moneypenny. I also remember a few baddies like the fat obnoxious GoldFinger (loved his plane!) and another tall character with teeth made of steel…..he was called “Jaws” I think. The title songs of “You only Live Twice” and “The Living Daylights” are my favorites. :-)

Though the chases – on road, air or water – were always fun to watch I was never impressed by 007 – mainly I think because of his habit of chasing women. I vaguely recollect a movie in which the legendary spy is about to tie a knot when the prospective bride is bumped off by the villains. This however was an exception that proved the rule!

I have always thought that Sean Connery never looked sauve enough to play Bond – he has a somewhat rough look about him. I think Roger Moore fit the bill better. I must confess that when Pierce Brosnan played Bond I watched the movies just for him. :-) Timothy Dalton had a confused look about him as if he is on the set of a wrong movie. And I think Daniel Craig looks too old to play the energetic secret agent. I wonder why Clive Owen wasn’t selected as the next Bond instead.

I have seen a few of the Bond novels tucked away in one corner of my library. Though I am told they won’t be much fun to read I might check out one or two instead of watching the movie when it hits the screens on 7th November.

Though I wonder if they would have done better to remake the movie “The Living Daylights” to keep in tune with the present times – afterall, the mayhem on Wall Street has scared precisely that out of everyone :-)

No comments: