Sunday, October 12, 2008

In a desperate move to set the cash registers ringing Bollywood now seems to be turning to the remakes of yesteryear’s hits. We had Sholay and Umrao Jaan and now we will have Karz.

I gasped for air when I heard that Himesh Reshammiya is playing the protagonist – played by Rishi Kapoor originally. I remember watching the original on TV and it had amused me no end to watch today’s Mrs. Tina Ambani gyrating to the tunes of “Om Shanti Om” – in her much slimmer avatar of course! But the title tune was decidedly haunting and remains my favorite to this day.

And as if the horror of Himesh Reshammiya visiting planet earth twice isn’t bone-chilling enough, it has been this time decided to remain faithful (!) to the American movie that the original Karz was based on - The Reincarnation of Peter Proud. So now HimeshBhai’s leading lady in the second life (played originally by Tina Munim) is the daughter of his heartthrob in his first life – Kamini (played originally by Simi Garewal). I wonder how the Indian audience is going to take it.

I just hope that this Karz doesn’t land producer Bhushan Kumar in Karz up to his neck :-) As far as I am concerned, the day this movie gets released I will get a DVD of the Rishi Kapoor starrer and watch it with popcorn :-)

No comments: