Thursday, October 2, 2008

I have often mentioned on this blog that I am not a regular movie-goer. I also avoid movies that deal with closer-to-reality or emotional subjects, preferring instead to go for comedies, thrillers or plain horror flicks. I have often been chided for this by some of my friends who still the nurse the hope of reforming me ;-)

Having said that, I want to mention that there are some movies which I have managed to see – in part or full – over the years despite their falling in my “forbidden” category. One of them is Amar Prem. I was amused when my mom told me that Rajesh Khanna was so popular at the peak of his career that girls used to write him letters in their own blood. “Yuck!” was the only reaction my mom got from me. Of course this tidbit wasn’t enough to make me watch the movie and Sharmila Tagore didn’t help the matters much because I have always thought that she speaks in a “put-on” voice. Yet, I somehow managed to watch this movie once on a Saturday afternoon and I am glad I did.

The reason I remember Amar Prem now is because the nine day festival of Navaratri has begun. If you don’t get the connection, think about the end of the movie. That is one of the scenes forever etched in my memory and will be forever linked to Navaratri. As a child, Vinod Mehra has received lot of affection and love from Pushpa (played by Tagore) who lives in a Kotha. Towards the end of the movie we see her as an old woman who has to clean the utensils to make both ends meet even if it means listening to all the abuse heaped on her. It’s hard perhaps for my generation to understand why she and the character of Rajesh Khanna don’t get married. But anyways, Vinod Mehra, now grown up, comes to meet her. He is now married and has a kid of his own. It is then that Khanna suggests that he take her with him to his place as she needs his care and affection.

And so we see Vinod Mehra taking Tagore home in a riksha as they pass a procession carrying Goddess Durga to her pandal. One mother is coming home to her devotees, the other is going home to her son. I will always remember Amar Prem for this scene!

Happy Navaratri Everyone :-)

No comments: