Saturday, August 30, 2008

Captain’s Log Star Date 30/8/2008

Those of you who have watched the original Star Trek series would recognize this as the announcement made at the beginning of many of its episodes – in the voice of Captain James Kirk. :-) Needless to say that I have managed to watch 2 episodes of one my old time favorite shows.

The first one was “The Man Trap” in which the Enterprise makes a stop at one of the less frequented planets where a scientist couple is doing research. An interesting twist to the story is that the wife from this couple has been a former flame of the ship’s doctor – “Bones” aka Dr. McCoy! While his former sweetheart is naturally happy to meet the Doc after all these years, her husband is not so affable as he keeps on urging the Captain to leave them alone. What's more, the Captain is puzzled as to why the Doc keeps saying that the lady in question hasn’t aged a day since he last saw her while the Captain can spot quite a few gray hairs.

Then a crewman from the landing party gets killed and when he is examined aboard the Enterprise he is found to have died of depletion of body salt. The rest of the episode is about the investigation carried out by the Captain and the inimitable Mr. Spock which brings them face to face with the sheer power of the last surviving member of a strange species.

I must admit though that as I sat down to watch the first episode I was a bit apprehensive as I was watching these episodes after a quite a gap. The technological advances in computer graphics as well as the huge production budgets have got all of us used to sophisticated sets as well as trick photography. The sets and the photography, even the acting in some cases wouldn’t be a match to it. Would I lose interest in Star Trek?

Sure, some of the sets – especially the ones of alien planets – do look a bit primitive and acting by some of the junior crewman leaves a lot to be desired. But I found to my delight that I love the Bridge of the Enterprise, its Communication Console, the Screen with its millions of twinkling stars, the Communicators that help the landing party touch base with the Enterprise, the Landing Station (with Scotty ready to beam people up or down), the Enterprise orbiting around alien planets and my old friends - Captain Kirk, Mr. Spock, Dr. McCoy, Uhura, Scotty and Sulu (Chekov isn’t part of Season 1) - just the same.

My journey has started once again with the words “Space – the final frontier. These are the voyages of the Starship Enterprise”. And I intend to enjoy every minute of it because if I have to borrow words from Mr. Spock – it’s fascinating! :-)

No comments: