Thursday, July 24, 2008

String beans - a chinese recipe

For the first time I am posting a recipe on this blog. And what I am about to post isn’t very spectacular either. It’s just that I have always loved string beans cooked the Chinese way. So I tried my hand at the dish and the result was palatable enough for me to post the recipe here. But if you don’t want to take my word for it, try it on a smaller scale. J

I must confess that I get pretty annoyed when the recipes don’t come with the exact measures and proportions. But this dish is so simple that there is little chance of anyone going wrong with it and hence I am not giving any measures. So without further ado, here it is.

Cut the string beans in medium pieces. Wash and dry thoroughly. Then deep fry them in oil. Drain them off on a tissue paper and drain out all the oil from the pan.

Put the fried beans back into the pan (without oil), add a bit of vinegar and then little soya sauce – enough so that the beans will continue to cook gently. Then add some sugar. The reason sugar is added after vinegar and soya sauce is because otherwise it will burn in the pan.

When the beans start getting caramelized, remove them from the pan. Usually the salt in the soya sauce is enough but if you need more you can always add it.

Sprinkle little pepper on top and the dish is ready to be served hot.

No comments: