Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Sar pe laal topi rusi

I am reading "The Arctic Event" by James Cobb and Robert Ludlum these days. The discovery of a WW2 era Soviet plane with a cache of Anthrax on board in the frozen wastelands of the Arctic! Fortunately the book is living upto its promise. :-)

It's bashing-the-Russians as usual. And I am kind of sad at that. I neither have any personal Russian friends nor have I ever been to Russia. But I have heard that the former USSR was a friend of India. I remember that though I had read about the late Raj Kapoor's movies being famous there once upon a time, I was kind of taken aback when a guy with Soviet roots in one of my earlier jobs had mentioned watching those movies as a kid. :-)

I don't have a red hat on my head as the song "Mera joota hai jaapaani" claims but it's odd that this "Dil Hindustani" should feel sad about the Russians being portrayed as the bad guys.

No comments: