Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Jodha Akbar ki hai kaun?

I am guilty as charged for dozing off in some of my geometry classes but history was my favorite subject. And I do clearly remember learning that Jodhabai was Akbar’s wife. I also remember Prithviraj Kapoor (playing Akbar) shouting “shekhu” to a wooden-faced Dilip Kumar (playing Salim) and a distraught Durga Khote (playing Jodhabai) in “Mughal-e-azam”.

So, Jodhabai was Akbar’s wife, right? Right? Wrong - if the Rajput community of Rajasthan is to be believed (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Rajputs_threaten_to_boycott_Jodhaa/articleshow/2742124.cms)

According to the community, Jodhabai was the daughter of Motaraja Udai Singh of Marwar and was married to Akbar's son Salim alias Jehangir. And Mughal king Shahjahan was her son. Oh boy!

I want my History teacher! :-)

No comments: