Saturday, January 12, 2008

The Nano's Here

So Nano's here! For those of you who have been staying in the caves, it's the much-awaited Rs. 1-lakh car from the Tatas. The car seems cute even to someone like me who prefers roomier cars with curves. And as an Indian I am mightily proud at this remarkable achievement! :-)

I was amused though at Mr. Ratan Tata's response to the query as to how this car was born. He said that the sight of an Indian family of 4 riskily negotiating the unruly traffic on a 2-wheeler was what made him bring out a car for a common man. I remembered the Vision, Mission, Strategy (VMS) session that I once attended in a company. "What is the reason for the company's existence?" the question was asked repeatedly and elicited many answers "to make superior products", "to beat the hell out of the competitors", "To provide best customer care". But no one came up with the obvious "to make money". C'mon Mr. Tata, we don't need the politically correct answer. We all know "The world revolves around money" so say it. I am sure that even if you had said so with tongue firmly in cheek the journos would have loved it!

But if Mr. Tata wasn't just being diplomatic, then I don't understand the sassy answers he gave to the reporters who were doing their job of asking uncomfortable questions. Like e.g. when asked about India's urgent need for better public transport he could have stopped at saying that he agrees with the need for the same. What was the need for the later "You are at the wrong press conference" or "We are not responsible for the public transport"?. The media reported that when Mr. Tata was questioned about the lack of driving skills in India he wondered if Tata Motors should start driving schools. Well, we don't need more schools, we need discipline and we need better roads. Isn't the Indian family of 4 driving a Nano going to be at risk when impatient drivers start cutting through the traffic? What's wrong in starting a 'Safe Driving" program? At least some people will start driving sensibly and who knows, others might decide to follow.

But I am afraid that it would have been difficult for him to give these straight answers because the truth is that the 1-Lakh car is going to make the traffic congestion worse. As my brother put it "my driver is going to get out of his Nano and then drive my Accord"! Where is the room on the road for more cars? Where are the parking spaces? What about more gas consumption? Is the average family going to be able to afford the gas? True, other auto manufacturers aren't asked the question of the possible shooting up of India's fuel exports but their cars are not going to be bought by everyone in the neighborhood. However, I agree with you, we have to start asking this question to the 2-wheeler makers.

One of my friends argued that such cars for the common man will put pressure on the governement for improving roads. I don't know but I am willing to wait and see.

Meanwhile I am sure there would be people across India who would be wondering if after October - when the Nano hits the market - it will be possible for them to move around in a chopper the way Mr. Tata does! :-)

(Just to be on the safer side, I read about Mr. Tata's answers to media questions in The Economic Times) :-))

No comments: