Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Gandhi magic or........

I did a double take when I read this news. See if you can stomach it.

A person in Nasik sentenced to 4 years' of imprisonment and about Rs 1000+ fine - for kidnapping and ransom demand - was given a copy of Mahatma Gandhi's autobiography "The Story of My Experiments With Truth". It so transformed him that he decided to mend his life. He started by admitting to the judge that he was guilty as charged and would accept the punishment. He followded this up with writing letter to the people he had wronged. And to top it all, he is now preaching other inmates to set their lives straight by reading the book.

And now the organization which had provided him the copy of the autobiography has requests from 5 inmates for copies.

A cynic that I am, I wonder if the original miracle and these further requests have got anything to do with the fact that the Mumbai based organization which had provided the copy paid up the person's fine and his punishment was also reduced from 4 years to 2 years following his change of heart!

If anyone asks me the question that Mel Gibson asks Joaquin Phoenix in Shyamlan's "Signs" - 'Are you a miracle person?' I would answer "Not Always"! :-)))

No comments: