Saturday, January 5, 2008

Friends told me to read "Not Without My Daughter" in one go but of course I couldn't read the book at work :-) So it took me about 3 sittings to finish reading it. At the end I closed the book and just sat there - amazed at the courage of this woman who wanted a simple life of a homemaker but when faced with unusual challenges fought for her own freedom and that of her daughter.

It felt good to read that she is back in US with her daughter. But when she stated that in the 80s the US state department was handling about 1000 similar cases of American women and children trapped in Iran against their will, it chilled me to the bone. Hope the situation has improved now.

I also hope that the guy who helped Betty Mahmoody escape - Amahl - finally made it to the US.

No comments: