Saturday, October 6, 2007

A salute to Major D. Raghuraman and Major Vinay

Very few of you would have heard of Major D. Raghuraman and Major Vinay. I hadn't - till today morning. And when I read the news I said to myself "How many more?".

Major D. Raghuraman from Delhi and Major Vinay from Hyderabad died in the line of duty while fighting the terrorists in North Kashmir. Major Raghuraman would have been a proud father in just 2 more months. Major Vinay was to get married this month.

I thought about how the TV channels and newspapers went crazy over India's winning the Twenty20 World cup. Don't get me wrong - I was proud too. But I think the media overdid it.

Why doesn't the media cover the sacrifices that our soldiers make day in day out at the borders so that some crazy good-for-nothing terrorists don't get an upper hand?

Why doesn't common man like you and me say aloud that rather than covering the "Breaking News" of some political parties tangled up in their sick "power-sharing" arrangement, tell us about these soldiers because of whom we can sleep soundly at night?

When are we going to stand up for what is good and noble?

I understand that the armed forces do have their code of conduct and for reasons of their own they might not want all the details published. But I also believe that we owe a lot to these soldiers who give the most precious thing that a country can ever demand from them - their life!
We have to show that we care.....

So here is an attempt to show that I do. A salute to Major D. Raghuraman and Major Vinay!

No comments: