Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Friendly neighbourhood pilot

"Very true" I said as I read the beginning of the news item in yesterday's economic times. It said how most people "hear" rather than "see" their flight's pilot.

I can understand his welcoming us on board (sometimes even that is done by one of the crew members on the captain's behalf), saying goodbye at the end of the journey....even telling us what altitude we are flying at. But I havent still fathomed why he has to tell us what the current outside temperature is. It sends a shiver down my spine every time he mentions it. Visions of an aircraft torn at the back and people holding on to things for dear life!

But I digressed....

This news item told about a friendly United Airlines pilot who invites children to cockpit, takes photos of their pets, ensures that unaccompanied minors get window seats and when the flight gets delayed the snacks are on him. And all this post 9/11.

Talk about the passengers being in 7th heaven!!

No comments: