Wednesday, January 11, 2023

A friend forwarded me a puzzle yesterday - a list of 25 or so English translations of the names of Marathi plays. And immediately I thought of Alka - a dear friend who I lost about a year ago. She kept me sane through the pandemic by sending such puzzles daily. I am sure she had sent me this one as well.

Even when I came to know that she has cancer, I assumed that she will get cured. That's why I did not go and see her. I told her that I have never been to the Asiatic Library, and she said that she hadn't been there either. We planned to go there and spend a whole day surrounded by books, to be followed by coffee or lunch. I am not sure I want to go to the Asiatic anymore.

We argued a lot - given the fact that our opinions on the current political scene in India differed widely. They were polar opposites of each other, to be honest. But the friendship remained - till she was gone. Now, the arguments seem so silly and hollow.

It felt nice to think of Alka again. It is just that I never expected death to snatch a friend away so soon in my life :-(

No comments: