Monday, July 3, 2017

British Serials @ Zee Cafe, every night @ 10pm

I must confess that the hoardings annoyed me a little - 'The British Are Back', they screamed all across the town. Sort of reminded me of Paul Revere and his 'The British Are Coming' shout in the 1700s. :-) The annoyance was of course due to the 300+ years of colonial rule. But I was curious too - because, truth be told, I am getting rather tired of the same old US serials. It is true what they say about variety being the spice of life.

And there seems to be enough variety on the plate all right. There is an adaptation of Leo Tolstoy's 'War And Peace', a glimpse into the life of Ian Fleming who created the dashing spy 007, a series with a dash of the supernatural (Class), SS-GB which depicts what would have happened if the Nazis had succeeded in occupying Britain (Fascinating!) and a whodunit featuring a serial killer on the loose in Paris.

I suspected that it would be rather difficult to watch the Lords and Ladies from 'War And Peace' on a full stomach (the shows are being aired at 10pm every night) so I gave this drama a miss. I did, however, manage to watch an episode of 'Class' - for all of 15 minutes. It wouldn't have been possible for me to watch it beyond that even if someone had put a gun to my head. And I am not even talking about the accents - God knows I could understand Mama Crowley just fine. The idea of the aliens living on Earth disguised as humans is palatable but I laughed out aloud when the two aliens in question revealed their true appearance for just a moment. God! They looked as if they had walked straight out of the set of 'Thor'. :-) And the alien who tried to kill that girl looked fit to grace the pages of kiddie comics. Couldn't help but roll my eyes when one of the aliens turned out to be a 'Prince'. Haven't they got enough of the royals already?

Despite this disappointment, I wanted to watch SS-GB and Maigret. The time slots - original telecase @ 10pm and repeats @ 5pm - aren't at all convenient. So, for the time being at least, I am forced to give up on these shows.

I am sure the Brits will be back as soon as the next season of these shows makes an appearance across the Thames. :-)

No comments: