Sunday, July 10, 2016

The Body On The Moor

serialpodcast.org introduced me to the world of podcasts. So after I decided not to download rest of the season two episodes, I searched the web for more such content and stumbled onto BBC Radio 4. The words 'Treasure Trove' sound rather inadequate. But I was cautiously jubilant - because I wasn't sure if I would be able to make sense of the 'stiff upper lip' British accents. :-) As a test, I downloaded all the episodes of the story The Body On The Moor.

In December 2015, a body of a man, between 65-75 years of age, was discovered on a Saddleworth Moor. There were no identification papers on him - no credit cards or driver's license or mobile phone. So, a John Doe, by the looks of it. The postmortem revealed that death was due to a poison. This story is an attempt to figure out who John Doe was and why he came to the desolate moor to breathe his last. It's an ongoing investigation, of course, and so the latest is yet to come. Based on whatever I have listened to so far, I am eagerly waiting for the next podcast. Turns out I need not have worried about the British accent. Sure, there are places where I cannot understand a sentence or two, no matter how many times I try. But overall, there was no difficulty in following the story as people speak very clearly.

If you are interested in crime stories, then do listen to this real life case. Also check out http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-e8c6cbab-da44-4a3c-8f9b-c4fccd53dd24

No comments: