Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Spectre (Spoiler Alert!)

Just for the record, and I might have mentioned this before (perhaps on multiple occasions!) that I don't like Danial Craig as James Bond. He has a tired, bored look about him which just doesn't suit the image of 007. It appears as if he is on his last legs and will keel over and die just before the titles roll by.

And I don't like Christoph Waltz as a villain though I have watched him only in 'Inglourious Basterds'. His Standartenführer Hans Landa came across as comical as if he had become a Nazi by accident. It looked like he has picked up in 'Spectre' from where he had left off in 'Inglourious Basterds'. Raoul Silva had creeped me out. But Blofeld sounded lunatic instead of being chilling.

Of course, neither of this stopped me from going to watch the latest Bond flick over the weekend because I wanted to see the plot and I wanted to see the action. The plot did look like old wine in a new bottle. An international organization that has its hands (or tentacles!) in every pie as far as terrorist acts and mayhem are concerned is an interesting premise, and does not sound like too much of a fiction in this day and age when every week there are acts of terrorism somewhere around the globe. But to say that Blofeld caused all the pain in the life of James Bond because his father dotted more over James sounds thinner than the quintessential British cucumber sandwich. :-(

The movie, however, did not disappoint me on the action front. Right from the helicopter scene in Mexico city down to the car chase through the streets of Rome, it was one helluva adrenaline rush. The helicopter scene was so engrossing that I even missed the moment when Sciarra falls
off to his death. :-)

I liked the old M and so don't care much for the new one. I liked the old Q and like the new one as well. He is a geek but someone who can still communicate with his fellow human beings :-) I can't make up my mind about Moneypenny - the old one seemed too old for James and the new one appears far younger than him. But I will live in mortal fear that one of the future offerings will show them getting personally involved - to put it mildly - given especially that the producers seem to have lost their touch when it comes to the Bond girl. :-(

If there is any truth to the rumors that this was to be Craig's last Bond movie, here's looking forward to a new James!

No comments: