Sunday, September 27, 2015

Trojan Odyssey - Clive Cussler (Spoiler Alert!)

Frankly, I have read better Cussler books. True, some of them have set the bar a bit too high and this one had raised my expectations even higher - what with the mention of the Trojan war, the Celts and an underground vault containing artifacts buried long back. In the end, I felt cheated as the novel was neither about any archaeological mystery nor about a villain hellbent on achieving his ends, no matter what the cost.

Oh, and it was hard to accept that Dirk Pitt suddenly has two grown-up kids. Seriously, couldn't Pitt Jr. be named something else? For the first few pages, I had hard time figuring out if the author is talking about the father or the son.

And there were a lot of unanswered questions - Why was Specter so obsessed about the Celtic culture? Who were the women who were looking after his business interests? How come no one noticed that so many imminent scientists were suddenly missing? And how the underground vault came to be resting where it had no place to be?

I hope this turns out to be the only Cussler novel that I didn't like.

No comments: