Sunday, July 19, 2015

Jimmy Boy and Gaylord Bakery

It wasn't my first trip to the Parsi restaurant. In fact, after my first visit, I had decided that next time I will go for their Thali. But I wasn't ravenously hungry that day and so couldn't have done full justice to the meal. So we decided to go a la carte. I wasn't too enamored by Dhansak the last time I was there. But it has got nothing to do with their Dhansak in particular. I suspect that in general I am not very enthusiastic about the idea of mixing lentils with meat.




Anyways, getting back to that Sunday's lunch, we ordered Jardaloo Salli Chicken, Parsi Rotti and Berry Pulao. We had tried Jardaloo Salli Chicken before here and loved it so there were no surprises as far as the taste goes. But like last time I again felt that some of the pieces needed to be cooked a bit more. Rotti was like every other Chapati and Roti - not sure what was different about it to warrant the name 'Parsi Rotti'. The Berry Pulao had dried Pomegranate seeds in it - what we call Anardaana - I was under the impression that the dish is supposed to contain special berries from Iran. The Pulao was not dry (thank God for it!) and was full of flavors. I am sure it is going to be ordered every time we come here in future. I wanted to know what the ruby red cold drink everyone was having was. The server told me that it was Raspberry Soda. I got one as well but it tasted like liquid jelly - didn't like it much.

This time we headed to Gaylord Bakery for sweets and ended up going for their Phirni and a slice of Walnut Pie. I have only word to describe their Phirni - Awesome! It was creamy with a lot of substance (and not just froth as served in many places!) and the sugar content was perfect. I am a lifelong fan now. The walnut pie was good but had a lot of walnuts - not my cup of tea :-( Maybe next time I should go for the peach one.

No comments: