Thursday, October 2, 2014

Ek Tha Rusty III

I must confess that I must have seen only an episode or so of either the first or second part of this show. I remember hearing good things about it but the show's timing was never right for me. Even yesterday evening I came across it purely by chance. And didn't leave till the end of the episode.

Rusty was in some small hillside town - I didn't quite catch the name of the place. He had just arrived at a lodge that was built by an English couple to get people acquainted with bears. There wasn't anything fancy about the lodge, given the fact that it was depicted to be from an era that's long gone. But the simple rustic charm of it was mesmerizing. There was an usher-cum-cook-come-waiter who in a matter-of-fact way informed Rusty that the ghost of the English lady used to haunt the lodge until a few years ago. When he was getting ready for a breakfast he overheard a girl of school-going age and a man talking and singing. When Rusty went downstairs he found that the girl was alone and chatted with her - simple direct questions and simple direct answers. No beating about the bush. Then he realized that the man who had earlier been talking to the girl was playing the piano and so went to talk to him. And of course, there was a breakfast table where all current occupants of the lodge gathered to have their first morning meal.

I cannot exactly pinpoint why I remained rooted to the channel (DD National, 7pm) till the credits rolled by. Maybe it was the absence of annoying saas-bahu duos, loud music or equally loud chanting of 'Om' and multiple shots of same person taken from different angles. But I suspect it was more about my desire to one day land up at such a charming mountain place and never to leave. To have the luxury to decide at leisure what I wanted to do on a particular day. To meet different people and listen to their life's story. To tell and to hear without looking at the clock every few minutes. To have miles to walk and roads to explore. To breath in pure fresh air. To see the sun rise and set on a mountain village. And to have time to wonder about life and death.

I envy Rusty for that.

No comments: