Saturday, August 30, 2014

Spanish - Class II

I guess people still have got to get used to their classrooms. I had forgotten which floor the classroom was on. After roaming about on the first floor looking confused I remembered that it was on the second floor and finally managed to locate it. Before I could worry about the early onset of Alzheimer's, a couple of students walked by asking 'Chinese?', 'German?'. There sure is safety in numbers :-)

Hmmm....El Alfabeto O El Abecedario. How different can they be from the good old ABCDE, right? But wait. The letters seem to be having names. e.g. 'b' is 'be', 'c' is 'ce' and so on till 'z' which is called 'Seta'. Why? No idea. I was totally bewildered by the time we limped to 'z'. How in the name of God am I going to remember all this? The teacher made us all repeat the entire alphabet at least 5 times. Our recital got mixed with similar recitals floating from the other classrooms. And suddenly I got the old rhythm of being in school back. :-) The El Abecedario seemed just a teeny weeny bit easier.

Aha, not so fast. There are exceptions (aren't there always?) to the rules. I inwardly groaned. So 'c' with a, o or u is pronounced as 'k' (as in kilo) but with i and e becomes 's' (as in stone). Similarly, 'g' with a, o or u is pronounced as 'g' (as in game) but with i and e becomes 'h' (as in 'house'). Oh and BTW, the alphabet 'h' is silent in Spanish so 'hola' is actually pronounced as 'ola'.

The teacher then distributed exercise sheets with about 100-120 words across 3 pages. We had to take turns to list alphabets in each word and then pronounce it. Till 11, we managed to get through one page. So the rest was home work.

Thus ended my 2nd class of Spanish.

No comments: