Sunday, July 6, 2014

Noodle Bar, High Street Phoenix

The physiotherapist wasn't thrilled when I told her that I have to go out for lunch over the weekend. I seem to have pulled a muscle somewhere in the lower back and she has prescribed 5 sessions along with the restriction that I don't travel on Mumbai's roads for that duration. 'It's not something that I can wiggle my way out of' I said by way of explanation. And that was that.

That's how I ended up at Noodle Bar - after a considerable period of time, if I might add. They seem to have changed the menu because I couldn't see the option of ordering a gravy dish with plain white rice. After perusing the menu for a while, I settled for Teriyaki. I couldn't quite fathom why the word 'veg' was mentioned along with it. Maybe, they want to emphasize that the dish is available in its veggie avatar. So I told the server that I want it with chicken. He promptly blew my theory to bits when he explained that the dish is only available in its vegetable version. 'You mean you cannot add chicken to it?' I asked incredulously. He replied in the negative. It took me a while to process (and digest!) this bit of astonishing news. Never before have I been told that an oriental dish cannot be made with meat. I would have very much loved the opportunity to ask the chef why it is so. But since I didn't, this must remain one of life's unsolved mysteries. 'Fine, Teriyaki it is' I said as I ordered Thai Chilli Basil Rice and asked with some trepidation 'Can you make this at least with chicken?'. 'Yes' he said and vanished with the menu card.


When the dishes were served I thought of the buffet the restaurant used to serve a couple of years back. The veg and non-veg appetizers served at the table used to be huge. The buffet spread used to have an equally huge variety of dishes. And the desserts were something to die for - mango and strawberry mousse, fried honey noodles with vanilla ice-cream and so on......

What was being served now was a mere shadow of the past. Inflation! Gets to all of us in the end I suppose. I sighed and brought myself back to the present. Don't get me wrong! The Teriyaki was good and so was the rice, though it tasted more Chinese than Thai in my humble opinion.

We ordered chicken momos as an afterthought. A disclaimer - I generally don't go for anything boiled or steamed, the only exception being sweet corn! So my opinion isn't going to be 100% unbiased. It was a bit too bland for my taste and a bit too boiled. :-(

Maybe we didn't choose wisely (as the old man advised in the Indy movie!). Maybe they got a new chef. Maybe I remember too much of the old buffet. Whatever the case, I am unlikely to go back again anytime soon.

No comments: