Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Asia 7, Palladium Mall, Lower Parel

Asia 7 has a new chef. Hence a new menu. We were slightly disappointed because we had ended up there in anticipation of having meal-in-a-bowl for lunch. I said "slightly" because the revamped menu looks good. Of course, any time you order something which you have not already tasted at that restaurant there is a chance, however slim, that the dish might not be to your liking. But it is equally true that it would have been a waste of money to order run-of-the-mill stuff like Fried rice or Satay or Phad Thai for that matter. So I decided to trust the smiling confident demeanor of the new chef on the first page of the menu and ordered Nasi Goreng along with Five spiced shredded chicken & wood ear mushroom.

First things first. Since my experience at Bade Miya a couple of weeks ago I have been rather doubtful about the portion size of the dishes served at the restaurants. From my earlier visits to Asia 7 I knew that it never disappointed on this front. Still, the new chef could have made some changes. Turned out that my worries were totally unfounded. When the waiter brought our lunch, I was pleased to see that the portions were in line with the servings at other establishments. :-)

Nasi Goreng & Five Spice Shredded Chicken
Anytime I order a meat dish, I am worried that the meat might not be cooked thoroughly (it had happened at Bade Miya). But as far as the Five Spiced dish goes, both the chicken and the mushrooms were cooked just right. There was lots of tasty gravy. Though it wasn't salty by any means I wonder if the chef could have done with a bit of less salt.

Nasi Goreng is the national dish of Indonesia. I have wanted to taste it since a very long time and I am glad to say that I wasn't disappointed. It consisted of fried rice, slightly sweet, tossed with chicken pieces in what the menu said was 'sambal and shrimp paste'. It was garnished with 2 chicken satay pieces and a sunny-side-up egg. Though the menu mentioned the dish having prawns, I didn't find any. But since I am not a big fan of seafood anyways, I didn't mind. :-)

So, in case you haven't been to Asia 7 since their menu changed, I recommend that you pay them a visit at the earliest opportunity you can get. You will end up grinning ear-to-ear like the chef. :-)

No comments: