Monday, January 27, 2014

China Bistro, Shivaji Park

I was really surprised when Chandragupta which was located bang opposite the Shivsena Bhavan closed down a couple of months back. I don't know about the weekdays but at least on the weekends it used to be pretty crowded there. I was also sad because their chicken pot rice was a huge favorite of mine. :-(

But as the Wise say, you should not fret over things that are beyond your control. So I made a mental note of dropping down for a weekend lunch when I saw that a new restaurant that has come up in its place, China Bistro, has opened up for service.

For starters, the menu is shorter than Chandragupta's was, perhaps because it serves only Chinese cuisine. Chandragupta used to serve Chinese plus Indian. I don't much care for soups so I ignored the section. The Dimsums (Boy! That always reminds me of Jet Li!) section has all the usual suspects - dumplings, wontons and spring rolls in their veggie, chicken as well as prawn avatar. The Main section is divided as per the sauces employed to prepare them. There is decent variety when it comes to fried rice and noodles. And the desserts section at the end has 7-8 choices like Honey noodles with vanilla ice-cream.

Since this visit was supposed to be sort of a 'dipstick' study, we chose to stick to the basic dishes - chicken spring rolls and chicken pot rice. The rolls were crisp and had sizable chunks of well-cooked meat, perfectly seasoned. But I found the quantity (6) smaller than what is normally served (at least 8) at other Chinese restaurants. Next time, we would have to go for 2 appetizers. The pot rice was a huge disappointment. It was rather dry, not spicy enough and chicken pieces were so small that you really had to rummage about in the rice to come across one. The whole garlic cloves were so cooked that I first thought they were boiled. I wish they were fried crispy instead. And yes, I have never seen corn being put into 'chicken pot rice'.

As far as the prices go, they are on the reasonable, I would even say lower, side.

I would like to explore the menu more during my future visits. No more pot rice though - maybe a version of fried rice or noodles. And definitely something from the main course. Of course, there will be no need to go for dessert here given that the area boasts of a lot of other choices - Amul, Ice Cream Works, Gelato, Naturals, Baskin-Robbins, Mad Over Donuts, Barista and Cafe Coffee Day!

No comments: