Saturday, June 8, 2013

Lemon Grass, Bandra West

I dread eating out over the weekend these days. Don't get me wrong. I am not suffering from any bowel or digestion problems. I am simply tired of eating the kind of food that is dished out at the food courts of the malls - Indian, Chinese, Pizza or McDonald's. If these are the only options, I am better off eating at home.

So, in search of something different to eat, I went to Lemon Grass in Bandra West (at Turner Pali Road Junction). It is not a big place but the decor is decidedly different than the usual. Recently, in an Outlook Money article (yes, they do have articles that don't deal with vitamin M!), I had read that using old or weather-beaten furniture is the in-thing and had found the concept fascinating. The seating arrangement at Lemon grass came as a pleasant surprise - given that it consists of green chairs, benches and garden style tables (not old!). This, coupled with the heart-shaped cluster lights, gives the eatery a quaint and cozy look.



I was told that I must not leave without trying Devil's chicken. I was also told that I will not find that item on the menu. When the waiter came to take our order, I hesitantly asked him about the dish. He happily nodded. We also ordered chicken Phad Thai noodles (just to be safe, I guess!) and Apple Lemonades.

Though I had expected the Apple Lemonade to have a sharp taste, it made me wince when I took a sip. Of course, it goes without saying that when the outside temperature is enough to put the Sahara to shame, lemonade is nothing short of a Godsend, sharp taste or not. Devil's chicken lived up to its name because it was very tasty, in fact sinfully so. I wondered, perhaps for the 1000th time, just how in the world do these chefs manage to make the sauce cling so perfectly to the meat pieces.


The Phad Thai disappointed me a bit - perhaps because it was authetic and not tweaked for the Indian palette. I am one of those who get turned off when cooked meat gives a kind of meaty smell. That's what happened when the waiter served us the dish. Plus the noodles were somewhat oily or slippery. Otherwise, there was nothing wrong with the taste. I must confess though that I have eaten better chicken Phad Thai noodles.



As far as the wallet goes, the lemonade was a bit on the pricey side. But the rest of the two dishes were very reasonably priced. So, I will be going back there one of these days to sample some Malaysian and Sri Lankan dishes that are on offer. If you are planning the same, then I have to tell you something - Devil's Chicken appears as 'Bangkok Crispy Chicken' on the menu :-)

No comments: