Thursday, June 20, 2013

Indigo Deli, Bandra West

Salads have always been my weak point. Take for example the Russian Salad. I know, I know, many people don't consider it a salad at all. But green pearls of peas, along with chunks of potatoes and juicy pineapple, dripping with creamy mayonnaise are enough to make me forget about those people. :-) So there was no way I could have passed up the chance to have lunch at Indigo. I was informed that they serve a mean Caesar's Salad.

Ordering a salad is always a gamble, in more ways than one. More often than not, you are not sure whether it will taste the same as what you like. A little less or a little more of the dressing is enough to spoil the whole effect. The lettuce leaves might not be crisp. And sometimes (heaven forbid!) the croutons are missing-in-action. What further complicates matters is that you cannot guess the portion size. Will just salad be enough for everyone or do we need to order some appetizers as well? In the past, I have suffered because of both - a salad that was huge compared to my appetite and a salad that left me hungry.

So I decided to play it safe this time and ordered onion rings along with Caesar's Salad. The waiter apologetically informed me that they had run out of Iceberg lettuce and asked if it would be okay to serve it with Romaine lettuce instead. I suspected that this would change the taste for sure. But I really didn't have it in me to go to another restaurant while it was raining so heavily. So I nodded and then sat back watching the rain as it continued to fall in thick sheets - but kept my fingers crossed at all times.


I guess my prayers were answered because when the waiter arrived the salad looked every bit as tempting as I was told it would be - chunks of perfectly seasoned chicken, crisp lettuce leaves, thick pieces of croutons, transparent little sheets of cheese and a tasty salad that perfectly enveloped each piece. I could happily have it for breakfast, lunch and dinner every day, if I could help it. The salad was perfectly portioned leaving little room for the onion rings. But true to the Indian tradition of never wasting even a morsel of food, we soon polished off the crispy golden rings. A perfect lunch for the rainy reason!

I am already thinking about when I can visit the place next. :-)

No comments: