Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Mahalakshmi Saras 2013

I have never been to a village fair. But I am sure any city-dweller visiting one for the first time would feel the same way I felt when I first set foot in the Bandra reclamation ground where Mahalakshmi Saras 2013 is currently being held.

I have visited these grounds many times in the past – to attend art and craft fairs. But this time the fair was huge. Almost 3 pandals situated next to each other and 5-6 aisles in each one of them – with rows of stalls choc-a-block with food and trinkets. I couldn’t wait to start and if I were any younger, I would have run giggling with delight all the way to the first stall.

The place seemed to have almost everything – cosmetic jewelry like bangles and necklaces (even ethnic one from Kolhapur), purses, shoes, clay pots and pans, paintings, furniture, kurtis and sarees, brassware, lamps, bed sheets and pillow covers, knick-knacks for the household, plant nursery and loads of food item – farsan, chips, sweets (halwa and pedha!), papads, varieties of fragrant rice, pickles, medicinal preparations for almost every malady known to man. There were counters to serve chaat, pani puri and the famous kolhapuri missal. Spanning all these stalls ran a huge food court with stalls serving everything from missal, kolhapuri tambada and pandhara rassa, baingan bharata and mirchi thecha, Agri mutton, Tel poli, Puran poli, crab pakoda and more….

I had hard time deciding what to buy and what not to. It was almost 2 hours by the time I had visited the final stall. Due to prior engagement I couldn’t eat at the food court. But hey, I plan to be there again this weekend – to shop more and to eat all that I can :-)

No comments: