Friday, August 17, 2012

You haven't seen anything in India if you haven't seen a family of 4 zoom past on a scooter during peak hour traffic. I was going home after a particularly long day. Songs from the Golden Era were doing a great job of isolating me from the outside chaos. Just then this scooter zipped past my cab window – the dad was driving and the mom was sitting in the back (with both feet on one side) with a tiny tot balanced, in my opinion, very precariously, in her left hand. My heart leapt into my mouth with fear. What do the baby carriers cost these days? They start from INR 1500 onwards. And the price of your baby's life? Priceless!

If spending for a product that can be used for a limited time only is an issue, there is always market for second-hand items. For net savvy people, such buying and selling is just one click away with sites such as Quikr and OLX. For others, there is always someone in the neighborhood with a new arrival in their home.

I don't think they are being careless. Like most of us, they must just be thinking that accidents only happen to others. :-(

No comments: